Monday, January 13, 2014

12 Mile Run & Raspberry Vanilla Protein Cake With Creamy Protein Filling!

Muddy Melissa's test kitchen received quite a workout of its own today! I decided to prepare and photograph all of my meals and all of my recipes that I'll be sharing with you in advance to give me a jump start on my week. Let me just tell you guys--- GOOD STUFF IS IN STORE! As always, everything will be clean, healthy, and (let's not forget!) delicious! You'll definitely want to keep checking back for those recipes throughout the week.


Raspberry Vanilla Protein Cake with Creamy Protein Filling
My breakfast recipe of the day? Raspberry vanilla protein cake with creamy protein filling. Oh my gosh, this cake came out so moist--- Steve couldn't resist it. He ended up eating a serving of this for his breakfast this morning! Want to hear what magic Muddy Melissa used to make this yummy cake clean? Keep reading then...

Recipe:
Raspberry Vanilla Protein Cake (Makes 1 9 inch round cake)

2 Cups whole wheat flour
3 Scoops vanilla whey protein (I used my favorite--- About Time/SDC Nutrition's Birthday Cake whey protein)
4 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon cinnamon 
10 Truvia/Stevia packets

1 Cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 Cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract 
1/2 Cup seltzer water (carbonated water)

2 Cups raspberries (Set aside 1/2 cup raspberries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In one bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients (except for the raspberries). Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Gently fold in 1 1/2 cups of the raspberries, and pour the cake batter into a greased 9 inch springform pan. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of the raspberries evenly on the top of the cake. Bake until golden-brown on top (about 30-40 minites). Let cool.


Golden brown goodness!
Creamy Protein Filling
3/4 Cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 Scoop vanilla whey protein (I used my favorite--- About Time/SDC Nutrition's Birthday Cake whey protein)
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Truvia/Stevia packets

Whisk together yogurt, whey protein, vanilla extract, and stevia until evenly mixed. Once the cake has cooled, use a serrated knife to slice the cake longways. Remove the top half of the cake, and spread a layer of the creamy protein filling inside the cake. Replace the top half of the cake. Serve and enjoy!
Use a serrated knife to slice the cake longways 

Spread the creamy protein frosting over the bottom half of the cake
This cake came out super moist. Sometimes cooking with protein powder can yield unsavory results--- often the protein powder causes things to become dry. Not in this cake! This cake was moist, light, and fluffy (largely, I think, due to the added seltzer water). Steve loves this cake, and I hope you will too!

Also, I got in my run today. I did 12 miles this morning. I didn't feel any pain in my hip today, but I still have to meet with physical therapy tomorrow for my consultation. I just know that I'd much rather get any pain nipped in the bud ASAP rather than risk a season-deterring injury! I have too many things upcoming to let this get in my way! So, fingers crossed everything turns out well for me!


Before my 12 mile run today
Check back later tonight for another yummy recipe! I have some pulled pork poblano cooking up in the oven right now, and it's filled my entire house with the smells of deliciousness! So I can tell you without a doubt that it will be a recipe that you surely DO NOT want to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment