Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Physical Therapy and Coconutter No-Bake Protein Cookies!

Well, I went to physical therapy this morning. I still don't have a definitive answer on why I'm feeling pain in my hip. As someone who works in the medical field, it baffles even me because the pain doesn't occur when I run or when I exercise--- its a sort of deferred pain that I don't feel until 1-2 days following. I did, however, receive a heat treatment and an ultrasound treatment, in addition to the hip stretching exercises I was assigned to do at home. Hopefully with a bit of rest (if I can manage that!) and these treatments, my hip pain will clear up quickly. I will NOT let any sort of injury get in the way of my marathon training!


Me--- getting a heat treatment at physical therapy!
Today's breakfast recipe? Coconutter no-bake protein cookies! These cookies have been such a hit in my household--- they quickly disappear whenever I make them! As such, I've taken to only making individual batches at a time (FYI this is the reason for the small measurement increments--- you can multiply the recipe as needed!). The combination of coconut and peanut butter is a match made in heaven; they compliment each other so well, yielding phenomenal results! And unlike traditional sugar, butter, and white flour-laden cookies, these protein-packed babies are treats you don't need to feel guilty about! And, of course, they're no-bakes so they're ready in a pinch! A word of caution though--- a serving of these cookies contains a serving of protein as well, so don't be gobbling these cookies down without consideration for your overall nutritional macros! 


Protein cookies... healthy treats without the guilt!
Recipe:
Coconutter No-Bake Protein Cookies (Serves 1; Makes 2 large or 4 small cookies)

1 Scoop peanut butter whey protein powder (I used About Time/SDC Nutrition in Peanut Butter flavor)
3 Tablespoons oats
2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/16 Teaspoon salt
1/16 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Packet Truvia/Stevia
1 Tablespoon PB2
2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut 


In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (except for the coconut), including the whey protein, oats, whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda, Truvia, and PB2. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer the mixture to a food processor, and add in the unsweetened almond milk. Process together; the mixture should form a nice, sticky, thick dough. Add more/less milk as needed. At this point, you can refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes so that it'll be easier to form into cookies later. Place the unsweetened shredded coconut in a shallow bowl to coat the cookies. Form the dough into cookies; you can create 2 large cookie patties or you can create 4 smaller cookie balls. Coat the cookies in the unsweetened shredded coconut, and transfer to a plate. Eat immediately, or refrigerate until eating! Enjoy!


Hard at work in the kitchen creating clean eats!
Yum, yum, yum... another hit recipe from Muddy Melissa's clean eats test kitchen! I hope you guys enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. PB2 is powdered de-fatted peanut butter! As a peanut butter addict, I couldn't live without it! You can substitute natural peanut butter in this recipe instead, but you would need to add less unsweetened almond milk due to the additional moisture in it!

    ReplyDelete