Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Late Start Today! Leg Day & Baked Pumpkin Protein French Toast

I got a bit of a late start to my morning workout today. I don't want to tease you too much, but I was working on something that will be posted later today. So stay tuned for what I assure you will be PURE AWESOMENESS!

Today's workout was my hands-down favorite: LEG DAY! I have some beastly running legs, so leg days are my favorite--- they make me feel like I'm the freakin' hulk! Love it! I can't get enough squats in general, but Bulgarian split squats are my one true leg day love. They're basically one legged squats with weights, since your one leg is propped up behind you on a bench. If you don't incorporate these squats into your leg days, trust me--- you should! You'll be amazed at how awesome they are and the results you'll see! I know my leg days aren't complete without them.

After my workout, I whipped up some yummy-liciousness in the kitchen! I had to do it quickly before the full effect of that leg day caught up with me--- as I'm sitting down to type this, I can guaran-freaking-tee that getting up ain't gonna be so easy (but that's okay--- if you don't feel like this after a leg day, then you didn't push yourself hard enough! Love me some sore legs!). Anywho, today's clean eats breaky recipe? Wait for it....


A pumpkin lover's dream breakfast... all cleaned up!

Baked Pumpkin Protein French Toast! Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a total sucker for all things pumpkin (crustless pies, smoothies, protein pancakes, protein bread, and MORE!), so I'm always looking for clean pumpkin recipes. And, come on, who doesn't love French toast? The two together? A match made in clean eats heaven! Mmmmmmmm...

Recipe:
Baked Pumpkin Protein French Toast (serves 2)

4 Slices of whole wheat bread (PLEASE make sure the brand you use is clean... grabbing any old loaf of bread off the shelf will likely lead to one filled with chemicals, preservatives, and artificial ingredients! I used Ezekiel--- it can be found at Wally World!)

1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract (NOT imitation!)
1/2 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (this is just a mix of cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg--- if you don't happen have any in your cupboard)
4 Truvia/Stevia Packets
1 Scoop whey protein powder in vanilla or pumpkin flavor (I used About Time/SDC Nutrition whey protein powder in Pumpkin Spice flavor... but I've made this before with vanilla (Birthday Cake) flavor as well--- still comes out great!)
1/2 Cup unsweetened almond milk (or your milk of choice--- rice, hemp, soy, coconut, whatever you prefer!)
1/2 Cup fat free plain Greek yogurt (as always, make sure its clean... I recommend Stonyfield. Steer clear of Dannon if possible.)
1/4 Cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin is fine--- just make sure you read the label first. Pumpkin should be the ONLY ingredient!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Tear apart bread into rough bite size chunks. Spread bread chunks onto the bottom of a lightly greased baking dish (I used 2 individual 14 ounce ramekins). Blend all other ingredients together, then pour evenly over the bread chunks, ensuring that all of the bread is saturated with the mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top becomes golden brown. I like a slightly gooey, undercooked center personally! The pumpkin protein French toast will rise as it bakes, but only slightly. Serve with some of your favorite clean syrup (agave, maple, etc.), or top with a bit of honey, clean vanilla "icing" (posted the recipe just yesterday!), a couple of spoonfuls of creamy Greek yogurt, or whatever you'd like! I think this recipe is perfect as is--- no additional toppings necessary, so that's how I usually nosh on it!


Bread chunks coated with French toast batter--- ready to go in the oven!
For a pumpkin-lover such as myself, this recipe is one of my pumpkin-loving treats (along with pumpkin protein pancakes & pumpkin protein cakes--- keep an eye out for those recipes!) that continually makes its way into my weekly clean eats meal plans. I hope you guys enjoy it and feel the same way too!

I still have another workout today to do with my husband. P90X3 THE CHALLENGE! This is, hands down, my favorite P90X3 workout in the bunch--- I can't get enough pull ups and push ups! So check back for an update on that later, along with another clean eats recipe (Low Carb Turkey Chili is getting yummified in the slow cooker as I type!). PLUS that special surprise I promised ya'll is coming for ya later today! Goody goody gumdrops!

No comments:

Post a Comment