Monday, January 6, 2014

P90X3 Total Synergistics & Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps


Well... I managed to get my husband to do his first workout of the P90X3 program. Today's workout was Total Synergistics. P90X3 workouts are only 30 minutes long--- and during that 30 minutes, I burned (according to my BodyMedia) a total of 135 calories. Not the highest-calorie burning workout, but since its a good mix of BOTH cardio and resistance training, I think the calorie burn during that time is pretty awesome! Just as a rough comparison, I personally burn ~200 calories during 30 minutes of full cardio--- run training. 

Well... he survived! I can say that much!
My favorite parts of Total Synergistics? The pull ups/knee lifts, the chin ups/circle crunches, and the Brannan boat exercises. I have some difficulty with the balance exercises, such as those involving the warrior pose which take place on one leg. I still suffer from some ankle stability related to my chronic recurring ankle sprains from heaving running/obstacle races, so these are particularly taxing for me. I have no doubt that, over time, these exercises, along with my physical therapy at home, will help alleviate that ankle instability!

Of course, as Steve and I busted our butts for 30 minutes, our furbaby Clover slept soundly the entire time. She claimed her own chair and a pillow, and she cuddled up all cozy-like the entire time. Man, I wouldn't want to be her! Such a rough life, you know?

Clover... all comfy-cozy!
Tonight's clean eats: buffalo chicken lettuce wraps with garlic-chive mashed cauliflower and a mushroom-tomato medley. Steve liked it so much, he said he wants it again next week. He would have requested it sooner--- but I plan out our meals a week in advance! So next week it is! Steve hates spicy food (whereas I LOVE spicy food), so for him to eat it and enjoy it was a huge accomplishment!

Want the recipe? Keep reading!

Recipe:
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Serves 2)

2 Chopped chicken breasts (~8 ounces)
1/2 Diced celery stalk
1/4 Diced red onion
1/2 Chopped jalapeƱo 
1 Chopped garlic clove
1/2 Cup fat free low sodium chicken broth (make sure the brand you use is clean!)
2 1/2 Tablespoons hot sauce (I use Frank's hot sauce--- surprisingly clean

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker mixed evenly. Turn slow cooker on high for 3 hours. Remove chicken from sauce in the slow cooker. Shred roughly with a fork, then return chicken to slow cooker in sauce. Cook on low for 1 more hour. Serve buffalo chicken on whole lettuce leaves to use as wraps. Additional topping ideas: plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), tomatoes, peppers, onions, jalapeƱos, avocado--- you name it. Place ingredients in the middle of a lettuce leaf, fold the lettuce leaf like a burrito, and enjoy your delicious clean eats!

Stay tuned for more recipes and workout updates!

Getting ready for some P90X3!

2 comments:

  1. I had this yummy dinner two nights ago and my fiance and I loved it!!!!! I made extra chicken... so the next day I put it on my salad for lunch...even more yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! I'm all about spicy foods... buffalo anything, hot sauce on everything, throw some more cayenne pepper on it! Yum! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete