Monday, January 6, 2014

P90X3 Total Synergistics & Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps


Well... I managed to get my husband to do his first workout of the P90X3 program. Today's workout was Total Synergistics. P90X3 workouts are only 30 minutes long--- and during that 30 minutes, I burned (according to my BodyMedia) a total of 135 calories. Not the highest-calorie burning workout, but since its a good mix of BOTH cardio and resistance training, I think the calorie burn during that time is pretty awesome! Just as a rough comparison, I personally burn ~200 calories during 30 minutes of full cardio--- run training. 

Well... he survived! I can say that much!
My favorite parts of Total Synergistics? The pull ups/knee lifts, the chin ups/circle crunches, and the Brannan boat exercises. I have some difficulty with the balance exercises, such as those involving the warrior pose which take place on one leg. I still suffer from some ankle stability related to my chronic recurring ankle sprains from heaving running/obstacle races, so these are particularly taxing for me. I have no doubt that, over time, these exercises, along with my physical therapy at home, will help alleviate that ankle instability!

Of course, as Steve and I busted our butts for 30 minutes, our furbaby Clover slept soundly the entire time. She claimed her own chair and a pillow, and she cuddled up all cozy-like the entire time. Man, I wouldn't want to be her! Such a rough life, you know?

Clover... all comfy-cozy!
Tonight's clean eats: buffalo chicken lettuce wraps with garlic-chive mashed cauliflower and a mushroom-tomato medley. Steve liked it so much, he said he wants it again next week. He would have requested it sooner--- but I plan out our meals a week in advance! So next week it is! Steve hates spicy food (whereas I LOVE spicy food), so for him to eat it and enjoy it was a huge accomplishment!

Want the recipe? Keep reading!

Recipe:
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Serves 2)

2 Chopped chicken breasts (~8 ounces)
1/2 Diced celery stalk
1/4 Diced red onion
1/2 Chopped jalapeƱo 
1 Chopped garlic clove
1/2 Cup fat free low sodium chicken broth (make sure the brand you use is clean!)
2 1/2 Tablespoons hot sauce (I use Frank's hot sauce--- surprisingly clean

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker mixed evenly. Turn slow cooker on high for 3 hours. Remove chicken from sauce in the slow cooker. Shred roughly with a fork, then return chicken to slow cooker in sauce. Cook on low for 1 more hour. Serve buffalo chicken on whole lettuce leaves to use as wraps. Additional topping ideas: plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), tomatoes, peppers, onions, jalapeƱos, avocado--- you name it. Place ingredients in the middle of a lettuce leaf, fold the lettuce leaf like a burrito, and enjoy your delicious clean eats!

Stay tuned for more recipes and workout updates!

Getting ready for some P90X3!