Thursday, January 2, 2014

I Have an Undying Love for Egg Whites


I busted out an awesome run training session this morning. For those of you that don't know, one of my goals for this year is to complete a marathon. I've been working on progressing from half marathon to full marathon for a while now, and last week I finally ran the full 26.2 miles (on my own--- but it still counts!), just to see if I could do it. So, right now, I'm focusing my training on pace as opposed to distance. I registered for the Pittsburgh Marathon (on May 4th!), so there's no going back now! I ran a little over 6 miles today at the gym--- pace was a little under 7 min/mile (not including my warm up).

My post-workout BodyMedia stats & a pre-workout mirror selfie
Let me just tell you, I have such mixed feelings about going to the gym after New Year's. Of course, so many people make resolutions to lose weight, eat better, or get in shape--- so, after New Year's, the gyms are always suddenly packed with people. It gives the gym a great vibe... full of people working towards similar goals with a lot of enthusiasm! On the other hand, though, knowing that a large percentage of those people will eventually give up on their goals and not fulfill their resolutions is a bit heartbreaking! I know that, week after week, I will see less and less people filling the gym--- but it doesn't have to be that way! EVERYONE, no matter how out of shape, how busy your life is, or how many obstacles you face, has what it takes to make their body the best body possible! You just need to trust that, believe that--- or better yet, connect with people (like me!) who can and will remind you of that during your moments of weakness!

After my run training, I partook in one of my all-time favorite post-workout meals: egg whites! I opted for an egg white frittata today (come on, FRITTATA is just plain fun to say, am I right?!)--- crab, mushrooms, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and red peppers all baked to crispy golden-brown perfection in the oven. Man oh man, it came out awesome! Colorful, bursting with flavors, with a crispy top!

Crab, mushroom, broccoli, cherry tomato, and red pepper egg white frittata
Why do I love egg whites so much? Simply put--- they're awesome! Egg whites are versatile, so you can add almost anything you want to them. On top of that, they're a nutritional powerhouse--- full of protein, packed with nutrients, yet low in calories. You can't go wrong with that, in my opinion! I rarely go through a day without noshing on some egg whites in one form or another--- omelet, frittata, stir fry, what-have-you! 

5 dozen eggs? Yup, doesn't last long in my house--- I eat like Gaston!
Ready to hear how I made this deliciousness?

Recipe:
Crab, mushroom, broccoli, cherry tomato, and red pepper egg white frittata (serves 2)

4 ounces crab meat
1/2 cup quartered mushrooms
1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup julienned fresh sweet red pepper
8-12 egg whites
Optional seasonings: basil, parsley, paprika

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In an oven-safe pan, sauté broccoli, mushrooms, and red pepper until tender. Remove from heat. Spread crab meat, cherry tomatoes, and any additional seasonings (I use fresh basil with a touch of paprika) you choose to use evenly throughout the pan. Then, add the egg whites--- you should use just enough to cover the ingredients in the pan. Place the oven-safe pan in the oven, and cook for roughly 8-10 minutes, or until crispy with a golden-brown top.

And there you have it! Quick, easy, clean, and versatile--- you can substitute any veggies/proteins/seasonings in here that you choose, and it'll still turn out fabulous!

What's on my agenda for the day? Well, I still need to get in another workout (weightlifting--- slated for later tonight). Plus, I'm going to pick up my belated Christmas present to myself. I finally bought myself a Ninja machine--- with all the shakes, smoothies, and whatnot I concoct in the kitchen... it's long overdue! How much you want to bet I'll be posting a slew of protein shake recipes in the near future?!

No comments:

Post a Comment