Monday, January 20, 2014

Cajun Seared Salmon

Tonight's dinner recipe incorporates one of my favorite sources of protein: salmon. Salmon is delicious, filled with body-fueling goodies such as iron, selenium, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and more! Not to mention that salmon is a great source of essential omega-3 fatty acids--- you know, those healthy fats our body needs that have been linked to lowering blood pressure and bad cholesterol, promoting heart health as a whole, as well as reducing the risk of diabetes, osteoporosis, and arthritis. Oh, and it's yummy to boot! Score, right?! Now, into the recipe guys!

Recipe:
Cajun Seared Salmon (Serves 2)

2 Salmon Fillets (Roughly 8 ounces)
1/3 Cup onion, chopped
1/3 Cup sweet peppers, chopped
1 Cup tomatoes, chopped
1 Garlic clove, chopped
1/2 Tablespoon cajun seasoning
Additional cajun seasoning to taste

In a lightly oiled pan over the stove, cook the onions, peppers, and garlic over high heat until tender. Add in the tomatoes and cajun seasoning, and continue to cook until the tomatoes are soft. Meanwhile, sprinkle the salmon fillets with additional cajun seasoning as desired (I like mine basically coated with cajun seasoning!). In a separate lightly oiled (and very hot) pan, sear the salmon fillets briefly on both sides. Remove the salmon fillets from the pan, and place the salmon fillets in the cajun sauce. Cover the pan, and allow the fish to cook over low heat. After about 10 minutes, the salmon should become flakey. Serve the salmon with the cajun sauce. This would be great served over a bit of quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat pasta! Yum!
I used SparkPeople's recipe calculator to calculate this recipe's nutritional info!
I personally didn't add any carbs to my dish; I enjoyed it as is--- no carbs needed! I'm pretty carb-sensitive, so I almost always opt for low carb options. But this dish was super tasty, and the salmon came out perfect--- crispy seared on the outside, flakey moist on the inside. And the cajun sauce? The perfect match! I hope you guys enjoy this recipe!

I had physical therapy this afternoon--- more heat and ultrasound treatments! I've got another appointment tomorrow morning too. But you know this girl, and nothing stops me! I had a blast with some hurricane training outdoors (yup, in the 20 degree weather!) today. I absolutely love hurricane training, and its, hands down, one of my favorite workouts I've come up with over the years. I also hit the weights, and worked out my chest and triceps today! I'm feeling awesome--- how about all of you guys out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment