Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Yummnous: Crunchy Crab Cakes with Oven Roasted Garlic Cauliflower, Creamy Herbed Polenta, and Sauteed Mushrooms and Cherry Tomatoes

Today's workout? A 4 mile run, P90X3 "The Challenge," plus a bit of yoga. I'm absolutely loving P90X3! I can't get enough of it--- and "The Challenge" is one of my favorites! All of the push ups and pull ups? This girl likey! Screw all those girls who whine "but I'm a giiiiirrrrrrllll... I can't do push ups and pull ups!" Bring 'em on--- the more, the better I say! But, man, a bit of yoga afterward felt like heaven to my muscles!


Yoga does a body good!
I got a little bit experimental with tonight's dinner. I wanted to give my crab cakes a bit of crunch without adding a boatload of breading like most do. So, instead, I opted to mix in some toasted wheat germ with my crab. It came out rather nicely, I think! Of course, I had to add some red pepper and green jalapeños for a bit of color, not to mention to appease my spicy-loving palette! I served it with a couple of my favorite sides--- oven roasted garlic cauliflower, creamy herbed polenta, and some sautéed  mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. What do you think, yum or YUM?


I'm in clean eats heaven!

Recipe

Crunchy Crab Cakes (serves 1, makes 2 crab cakes)
6 ounces crab meat
1 tablespoon wheat germ (toasted in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes until brown)
Diced jalapeños and red peppers to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients together in a bowl. Form two patties with mixture. Meanwhile, heat pan to medium heat. Use a bit of whatever type of oil you prefer to ensure that the crab cakes do not stick to the pan (I used sunflower oil). Place patties on pan, cook on each side, ensuring that crab cake turns golden brown--- it took me about 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve and enjoy!

I loved the way these turned out--- spicy, flaky, with a bit of a crunch. If you try it--- let me know your thoughts! As always, remember: clean eats don't have to be bland eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment