Saturday, January 11, 2014

Busy Day! 2 Crisp Variations & Pesto Chicken Skewers!

Well, its been a busy. It was pouring outside this morning, but I didn't let that deter me from my morning run. I did a total of 6 miles today. Unfortunately, I was in excruciating pain afterward with a bum hip... ouch! I stopped by an urgent care facility to get a referral for physical therapy. Of course they wanted to hop me up on pain killers--- but I said "thanks, but no thanks." Physical therapy will be more able to help me, and pain killers are not this girl's style. I'll tough it out!

FUCK INJURIES!
For breakfast, I tried out a few variations on my protein crisp recipe. One uses apples; one uses cherries. Both came out fantastic! These will become household favorites along with my original protein blueberry crisp recipe. Want the details? Keep reading, guys!

Oh gosh this was so delightful!
Recipe:
Protein Cinnamon Apple Crisp (Serves 1)

1/2 of an apple cut into rough chunks (about 1 cup total--- my apples were ginormous!)
1 packet of Truvia/Stevia
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Juice from 1/4 of a lemon

Crisp Topping (Tops 1 apple crisp)
1 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (I used About Time/SDC Nutrition's Whey Protein in Birthday Cake)
2 Tablespoons oats
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon ginger
1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
Juice from 1/2 of a lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To make this crisp variation, microwave the apple chunks in a bowl filled with water for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, the apples will be tender. Drain the apple chunks, and mix with the Truvia, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Place in the bottom of a ramekin. In a food processor, add all of the crisp topping ingredients. Process until the crisp mixture becomes crumbly. Layer the crisp mixture on top of the apple mixture. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.

Proteiny cherry crisp goodness! Mmmmm...
Protein Black Cherry Crisp (Serves 1)
1 Cup of black cherries (fresh is preferable... if not, frozen would work too--- just make sure the only ingredient is cherries! Don't let them sneak unnecessary sugar in there on you!)
2 packets of Truvia/Stevia (I added more Truvia for this variation to cut the tartness of the black cherries)

Crisp Topping (Tops 1 black cherry crisp)
1 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (I used About Time/SDC Nutrition's Whey Protein in Birthday Cake)
2 Tablespoons oats
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
Juice from 1/2 of a lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To make this crisp variation, coat the cherries with the Truvia. Place the coated cherries in the bottom of a ramekin. In a food processor, add all of the crisp topping ingredients. Process until the crisp mixture becomes crumbly. Layer the crisp mixture on top of the coated cherries. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.

These crisps were actually eaten by my in-laws! I tasted both, of course (I can't be recommending recipes I've never actually tried!), but I had an egg white frittata for breakfast this morning instead. I got a little bit experimental this morning, and I concocted (what I believe to be) the perfect frittata--- a heavenly balance of sweet and spicy! It was a fabulous intermingling of sweet cherry tomatoes, red peppers, and pomegranate vinegar with spicy poblano peppers, cajun spice, and some hot sauce. I honestly think this is the best frittata I've ever made!

I was in frittata heaven this morning!
Recipe:
Sweet and Spicy Egg White Frittata (Serves 1)

1/2 Cup baby bella mushrooms
1/4 Cup chopped sweet red peppers
2 Tablespoons chopped poblano peppers
1/2 Cup chopped kale
1/2 Cup halved sweet cherry tomatoes
1 Tablespoon pomegranate vinegar
4 egg whites
Salt & pepper to taste
Cajun spice to taste
Hot sauce to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a lightly oiled 6-8 inch oven-safe pan over the stove. Sauté mushrooms, red peppers, and poblano peppers until tender. When tender, add in the kale as well. When the kale has become slightly wilted, add in both the sweet cherry tomatoes and the pomegranate vinegar. Sauté for about one minute. Remove from heat, and add in the egg whites, as well as spices to taste (I added about 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cajun spice, as well as some dashes of hot sauce). Place the oven-safe pan in the oven, and bake the frittata for about 8-10 minutes--- or until the edges become golden-brown.


For dinner, I made one of Steve's favorites: pesto chicken and cherry to skewers. I served it with a yummy side of sweet cinnamon carrots (carrots+cinnamon=totes awesomesauce, FYI). Steve gobbled his up! For whatever reason, I wasn't in the mood for this tonight... so I had protein (About Time in Birthday Cake flavor) pancakes for dinner. Yup, brinner again for me! We must look like quite the odd couple, sitting there at the table together--- him with large skewers of chicken and tomatoes, me with a short stack of birthday cake flavored pancakes. Oh well! We both enjoyed our dinners!


One of Steve's favorite clean eats dinners!
Recipe:
Pesto Chicken and Cherry Tomato Skewers (Serves 2; Makes 4 skewers)

4 Skewers
8 Ounces chicken breast, cubed
1/2 Cup chopped fresh basil
1 Chopped garlic clove
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (I know you'll be tempted to opt for the fat free/reduced fat stuff--- please don't! It's only fat free/reduced fat because it's been processed to hell and back... go with a natural, full fat, fresh cheese, and instead eat that sparingly! Please! Your body and I will thank you!)
1 Tablespoon oil (try to use a healthy oil--- I used sunflower oil, but EVOO would work too)
1.5 Cups whole cherry tomatoes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, and oil in a food processor. Process until thoroughly mixed. Coat chicken breast cubes and cherry tomatoes in the pesto mixture. Place the chicken breast cubes and the cherry tomatoes on the skewers in an alternating pattern. Place on a greased baking sheet, and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. (Please note: in the summer, I toss these skewers on the grill outside... they're super tasty that way! Unfortunately, its winter... so no grilled skewers today! But they can be cooked either way, and they come out delicious!) Enjoy!

Sweet Cinnamon Carrots (Serves 2)
1 Cup sliced carrots
2 Truvia/Stevia packets
1 Teaspoon cinnamon

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Boil carrots until carrots become tender. Drain. Toss carrots with Truvia and cinnamon. In a lightly oiled, pan sauté the coated carrots for a few minutes. Serve!

Well guys, I have a hot date with a heating pad tonight (get it--- hot date?! man, I crack myself up!). I hope you enjoy these clean eats recipes. Just a heads up--- tomorrow morning I'm attending a pop-up vegan brunch buffet, so I won't be posting any breakfast recipes tomorrow. I will, however, be updating you on the delicious vegan eats I'll be experiencing tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment