Wednesday, January 8, 2014

P90X3 Agility X/X3 Yoga & Turkey Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie

Steve wasn't looking forward to today's workout--- he has to double up on his P90X3 workouts on Tuesday (because of his work schedule). Today's double trouble? Agility X & X3 Yoga!

Getting ready to rock out with some P90X3--- Agility X & X3 Yoga!
I'm a huge fan of Agility X. Its one of those workouts where you're just having so much fun that you almost forget you're working out. Tony Horton is hilarious, first of all, and he always has me cracking up. Second of all, I love hearing him shout "SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH" at me through the television screen. I'm too focused on getting the moves right and doing them precisely, that it doesn't feel like a burdensome workout to me. The calorie burn (according to my BodyMedia device--- for me, being a female at 100 lbs and 5'0" tall) during the entire 30 minutes? 180 calories. That's right up there with the calorie burn I get during 30 minutes of straight cardio with running. Awesome, in my opinion!

I also like the X3 Yoga routine. I'm a huge proponent of yoga, and I love the things it can do for your body, so I think its great that its included in the P90X3 program. Steve definitely found some of the poses difficult (then again, the one, only, and LAST time I got Steve to go to a yoga class with me--- he fell over... I probably shouldn't have laughed out loud!), but he struggled through them nonetheless. Call me crazy, but I somehow don't think X3 Yoga will be one of the workouts he looks forward to!

Don't worry... he survived!
Dinner tonight was a homestyle classic: Shepard's Pie. The clean twist? My version is made with extra lean ground turkey and sweet potatoes instead of traditional beef and potatoes.

Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie
Recipe:
Turkey Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie (Serves 2)
2 Sweet potatoes (cubed)
1 Tablespoon unsweetened almond milk (or whatever milk you prefer)

1/4 Cup sliced carrots
1/4 Cup chopped red onion
1/4 Cup chopped celery
1 Chopped garlic clove
1/4 Cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 Cup low sodium fat free chicken broth (make sure the brand you use it clean!)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
8 Ounces 99% fat free extra lean ground turkey
1/2 Teaspoon rosemary

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a pot, boil cubed sweet potatoes. Drain the sweet potatoes when they become tender. In a bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with the unsweetened almond milk. Set aside mashed sweet potatoes for later. Meanwhile, in a pan with a bit of oil to slick the pan, begin to sauté the vegetables. Start with the carrots first, as they will take the longest to cook. Then add the celery and red onion. Lastly, add the mushrooms and garlic clove. Once the vegetables are tender, add the chicken broth and tomato paste. Set aside vegetable mixture for later. In another pan, cook ground turkey and rosemary until the turkey is cooked thoroughly and is no longer pink. In 2 individual ramekins, spread a layer of the ground turkey on the bottom of the ramekin. Next, spread a layer of the vegetable mixture (with sauce as well) on top of the ground turkey. Finally, spread a layer of the mashed sweet potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture. Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the top of the sweet potatoes begins to brown. Wait 5-10 minutes for the shepard's pie to cool before eating.

I loved this recipe! It felt like comfort food, but without the guilt! I think I'm going to try a clean twist on chicken pot pie sometime soon... What do you guys think? Sound like a good idea? Or is it better not to mess with such a classic?

Stay tuned for tomorrow--- I have something special to surprise you all with on WOW WEDNESDAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment