Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Clean Eats Spotlight: High Fructose Corn Syrup

So I was cleaning out my fridge, and I came across two jars of applesauce. One's mine, the other belongs to my husband. One's clean, the other... not so much! One of us is a healthy weight, the other... again, not so much! (Love ya anyway hun!)



The top one lists only two ingredients: apples and ascorbic acid (AKA vitamin C). The bottom one, however, lists its second ingredient as high fructose corn syrup. Now, you may or may not have heard about all the debate surrounding HFCS in the media. Simply put, it's been linked to a slew of health concerns--- obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and more. I'm not going to point the finger at HFCS for any of these health concerns, though. But in my opinion--- apples are naturally sweet and totally delicious on their own! While I can't say for certain that HFCS is the cause of certain health concerns (the studies are still divided), I'd rather not take the risk of eating anything with this ingredient in it. I'll take my applesauce clean, thank you very much!

How about you? Avoiding HFCS? Think it's fine? Or still undecided? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment