Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes

This girl was up, bright and early again, for yet another day at the gym. I'm still restricting my running while I go through physical therapy for my hip, but I'm not using that as an excuse to say home and do nothing at all! Running, biking, using the elliptical, even swimming all utilize the hip to some degree, so I opted to use the rowing machine instead for my cardio today. It isn't the most effective form of cardio, but it'll work in a pinch for me! Of course, since rowing works out the lat muscles, it was only natural that I supplemented my workout by hitting the weights--- worked out my back and biceps. As a nice finisher, I did a bit of yoga to loosen everything up. I have another physical therapy appointment tomorrow, and I honestly can't wait... hoping, wishing, and praying that I can get back on my feet (no pun intended!) soon!


My furbaby gives new meaning to the yoga pose "downward dog"
Today's clean eats breakfast recipe is another pancake variation: pumpkin spice protein pancakes. Now, to be blunt, I'd originally intended to post another recipe I've been working on, apple-quinoa protein bars. However, I'm not perfect by any means, and sometimes I have my own clean cooking flops too! My protein bars came out too dense--- not moist enough for my liking! So instead of posting a sub-par recipe, I'm posting a recipe (that's a favorite of mine) that I've had on standby for a while now. As for those apple-quinoa bars, it's back to the drawing board... I'll be returning to the test kitchen to perfect this recipe, and once I post it for you guys, you can be assured it'll be delicious! So, anyway, without further ado, onto today's clean eats breakfast recipe...


Look at that deliciousness... Move over pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice pancakes are in town!
Recipe:
Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes (Serves 2)

1/2 Cup Big Train Low Carb Pancake/Waffle Mix
1 Scoop pumpkin or vanilla whey protein powder (I used About Time/SDC Nutrition's whey protein in Pumpkin Spice)
2 Egg whites
1/4 Cup pumpkin puree (the only ingredient should be pumpkin!)
2 Packets Truvia/Stevia
1/2 Tablespoon pumpkin spice (this is just a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in case you don't have this in your cupboard)
1/2 Cup water (at least)

In a bowl, mix together all ingredients. Please note, you may need to add more water depending on the thickness of the brand of protein powder you use! Meanwhile, heat a lightly greased pan on the stove. Drop pancake batter in 1/4 cup increments onto the pan. When the edges start to become cooked (they'll look cakey on the outside), flip the pancake onto the other side to cook. Repeat until all of the pancake batter is used. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and stevia just before serving as garnish, or top with a dollop of greek yogurt. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great post teammate! Yeah "teammate." In my head, lol i have compiled a group of thorough bred athletes that i make a point to read about. You are so hard working and determined! An injured hip and still at it! Where most would have used that as an opportunity to take a break, you are like screw it i will just exercise everything around the hip! Keep doing what you are doing, ive seen your before and after pics youre doing a great job! I bet before long your food taste tester husband will be in the gym with you. Good luck to you guys and looking forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +Corey Gauthier, in my opinion, we are all teammates! We're all one big happy "fitfam" working towards our goals! I have learned that life is too short to let anything stand in your way--- least of all yourself! So I don't let anything slow this girl down... injuries, negativity, obstacles... NOTHING! Thanks so much for the kind words, and Steve is working hard too! He started out at 260 lbs, and he's down to 238 lbs now. He finished up Focus T25, and he's been doing P90X3. He doesn't come to the gym too often with me, just because his goals are different right now, but I jump in on his workouts instead! :)

      Delete