Thursday, January 16, 2014

Physical Therapy Update, P90X3 The Challenge, and Turkey Taco Battleships!

Physical therapy was so-so today. I received more heat and ultrasound treatments. I also spent some time with my physical therapist doing exercises in the gym. I almost laughed my ass off when he lead me to a squat machine set at 100 lbs though! They still aren't quite sure what is causing my hip pain, although I made it clear that my hip pain seems to be worsening with rest--- not improving! I told them that I feel like my body is so used to being run into the ground with activity, that the moment I'm not doing that it starts acting up terribly! Anyway, he's thinking that there might be some hip bursitis going on, in addition to the muscular inflammation in that area. We'll see how it goes... I just want to get back to full functionality... like NOW please!

Steve and I did P90X3 The Challenge tonight. This is one of my absolute favorite workouts from P90X3, so its one I really didn't want to miss! Plus, I figured that, since its entirely comprised of push ups and pull ups, it wouldn't aggravate my hip injury at all. Well--- not so much! The push ups did indeed bother my hip, probably due to the need for balance, while partially supporting myself on my feet. But I trudged on, and I finished the workout nonetheless! Nothing stops this girl... even when maybe it should (did I just admit that?!).

So--- tonight's clean eats dinner recipe? It's a fun one! Turkey Taco Zucchini Battleships! Using packets of taco seasoning is anything but clean, and seasoning on your own instead is a much healthier alternative. On top of it, this is a great low carb option for those who are watching their carbs. Me, personally--- I always try to sub lettuce wraps or something along those lines whenever I can! And zucchini battleships? Well that's just plain fun! I don't have kids, but I have a feeling kids would love to nosh on some taco battleships, am I right? Read on for the recipe details!


Clean, yummy, and FUN!
Recipe:
Turkey Taco Zucchini Battleships (Serves 2; Makes 4 turkey taco zucchini battleships--- and its low carb!)

2 Medium zucchinis
8 Ounces 99% fat free ground turkey
1/4 Cup salsa (make sure it's clean--- I used a homemade peach mango salsa!)
1/4 Cup chopped red onion
1/4 Cup chopped sweet peppers (bell peppers are fine!)
1/2 Teaspoon cumin
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon paprika
1/4 Teaspoon oregano
2 Tablespoons tomato paste (tomato should be the only ingredient!)
4 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Slice the zucchinis longways. Using a spoon, hollow out the zucchini halves. The easiest way to do this is to trace along the outline of the seeds, and use the spoon to scoop out the innards--- leaving a zucchini shell behind. Chop and set aside 1/4 cup of the zucchini innards. 



In a lightly greased skillet, brown the ground turkey along with the cumin, salt, paprika, and oregano. Add in the zucchini, onion, sweet peppers, tomato paste, and water then sauté until slightly tender. Finally, add in the salsa just before removing the turkey taco mixture from heat. Meanwhile, drop the zucchini halves in the pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain immediately.

Fill the zucchini halves with the turkey taco mixture. Sprinkle the chopped cilantro on top before placing the filled zucchini halves on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with plain nonfat Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream, some additional (again, a clean variety please!) salsa, or even some homemade guacamole! Enjoy!

Steve loved this recipe, and he said it was super filling! I chose not to serve it with a side, just because it was served in a zucchini battleship. Steve had this look of "oh my gosh, I get to eat this, and its healthy?!" on his face whenever I served it. It was definitely a hit in my household, and I will be making this regularly from now on!


I get to eat THIS?!

No comments:

Post a Comment